My One Word for 2023 is Connection. The 2023 Fakequity Pledge is also Connections and gave me lots to think about in terms of how I relate to books, authors, fellow readers and bookish organizations. The Fakequity Pledge calls for us to connect deeply, differently and in new ways. These themes deeply influenced my bookish goals for the year!
- Move from Goodreads to StoryGraph. StoryGraph is an amazing BIPOC owned alternative to Goodreads, which is owned by Amazon. I will also be supporting StoryGraph as a volunteer librarian!
- Inventory the books I own (which is super easy with StoryGraph). I have so many books that I’ve never read. Honestly, I don’t even know what I have! I really want to be more mindful of my consumerism.
- Connect more deeply with the books I read by taking the time to review them, not just rate them.
- Try joining a book club at my local independent bookstore.
- Buddy read a book with a friend.
- Connect with my online community more and comment on other bookish/library blogs at least once a week.
- Support anti-censorship efforts and organizations, such as PEN America and Every Library. If you’re also interested, Book Riot has a new post with some great ideas for anti-censorship New Year’s Resolutions.
- Support bookish BIPOC and LGBTQ communities. These stories are the ones being banned and most in need of elevation! I’ve signed up as a monthly donor to LBGTQ Reads and We Need Diverse Books.
- Finally get around to blogging about the latest and greatest early math picture books for storytime! And sharing my presentation on said topic.
- Launch a Junior Bricks and Books Club for Grades K-2 at my library! I’ve been wanting to do this for a long time and I’m excited to finally have a date set for this summer.
What do your bookish resolutions look like this year? Let me know in the comments below!
The Artsy Reader Girl currently hosts Top Ten Tuesday, an original feature created by The Broke and the Bookish. Every week TTT has a different topic, and everyone who links up has to create a link of ten items that fit that topic.